Saturday, January 12, 2013

Free Crochet Pattern: Jayne Cobb Hat



Did your significant other make you a super warm Jayne Cobb hat for Christmas? No? They must not love you.

This is Jayne Cobb, from the television series Firefly.


And this is my husband is his new nerdy Jayne hat made from Wool-Ease yarn, which he says makes his head so toasty warm that sometimes he sweats in it, even though he works in the cold dark of the night as a baker.


And here's the pattern.

J hook, yarn needle, yarn in yellow, orange, and red

Foundation chain With Orange:
Skip over to this handy tutorial on how to do a chainless foundation. The chainless foundation takes longer but is more stretchy. Measure your or your partner's head and crochet enough even-numbered complete stitches to fit that length. For Bryan's massive man head, I started with 84. Once complete, connect the beginning and the end with a slip stitch to make a giant circle. 

Round Two:
Double Crochet in each chain around and join the last one to the first one with a slip stitch. Generally, This is achieved by doing a 3-chain in the first stitch and then DC in the remaining ones. I personally don't like this look, so I chain 1 and then DC in that same spot. In the end it looks fine. Whatever you prefer, do that. 

Rounds Three - ?:
To get a stretchy ribbed look, do a front post DC around the first DC of Round Two, then a back post DC around the next DC, and alternate back and forth like that completely around, row after row, always doing a front post DC around a previous front post DC and a back post DC around a back post DC. For Bryan, I did two front post DCs and then one back post DC, which is what you see in the pictures. I just kept going and going until I got a tube long enough to tie off at the top and fit his head with a bit of space, which is how the Jayne Hat was worked. 

I did 12 rows of orange yarn and then 22 rows of yellow. When I finished, I left a very long tail, threaded it onto my yarn needle, and then wove it back and forth through the top stitches of my last row, and then pulled it tight to close the top. Don't worry if there is a small gap - that gets closed with the poof ball.

Yarn Pom Pom:
Follow THIS tutorial, only use more fingers and wrap all 3 colors of yarn around your hand many more times for a large poof. Sew it with yarn and a yarn needle to the top opening of the hat.

Ear Flaps:
Using red yarn, make a chain 1/4 the circumference of your hat. For example, since mine was 84 stitches, I chained 21. Then, add one, and DC back into the second chain from your hook and all others across so that you have 21 DCs. Or, if you prefer, chain 2 more and these last 3 chains will act as your first DC. DC in the 4th chain and in all the others across - 21 stitches total. Or, however many stitches equals 1/4 of your hat's measurement.

Chain one and turn, alternate front post DCs and back post DCs, repeat this for about 12 total rows, depending on how long you want the flaps. If you look at Jayne's hat, the ear flaps are pretty long.

Begin decreasing at the beginning and end of each row. For me, that made 19 stitched in Row 13, 17 stitches in Row 14, and so on, until I got to a point. 

Leave a small tail, about an inch or so long, when you finish off your ear flaps. If you look at Jayne's picture, you can see that you could probably add a few strings to the end, too, if you want.

Divide the bottom of your hat into 4 segments. Sew one ear flap to the bottom of the hat in one of those segment. When you sew on the second ear flap, make certain you skip a segment so that the ear flaps are directly opposite each other on the hat. So, for me, I crocheted the first flap onto my first 21 stitches, then skipped 21 stitched, then sewed the second flap onto the next 21 stitches.

Ta da! Thick and warm Jayne Cobb hat!

NOTE: Do not sell this if you make one. It is copyright infringement to duplicate a costume or character you see in a movie or television show and then profit from it. It bothers me when I see people selling Doctor Who or Firefly stuff on Etsy. This is a free pattern for personal use. Give it away and share the Firefly love, but don't sell it, and don't claim the pattern as your own.



14 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this ! Exactly what I was looking for =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that this crochet Jayne hat looks really good and I've been making crochet Jayne hats (not that I can call them that anymore) for a few years now. Love the title of your site and I look forward to perusing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I love the pattern! However, I'm horrible at the whole no chain thing. Can I still make it with a chain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly can! It just won't be as flexible so you'll want to check and make sure it fits comfortably over the head.

      Delete
  4. You CAN sell this hat, you just can't call it 'Jayne', 'Serenity' or 'Firefly' or any name that Fox owns. They do not own a pattern for the hat and even if they did, it falls under First Use. As long as you call it anything else, it is legal to sell. They don't 'own' Adam Baldwin's name, they don't own 'space rebel' or Joss Whedon's name. But usually just a 'hat made in oranges, yellows and reds' is enough for a search to pick it up. 'Cunning' is also a good keyword.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankyou for making this available, all my son in law wanted for Christmas was a Jayne hat...I just finished the hat, now all it needs is a pompon! It is adorkable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, oh! Will you post a pic somewhere online when you're done? I haven't seen anyone else's results from this pattern yet!!

      Delete
  6. Great pattern, thank you!
    I'm a little confused on the alternating FPDC and BPDC--do I alternate within the row, or do a row of FPDC then a row of BPDC?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You alternate them in the same row, first one stitch, then the next.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A friend sent me the pic (the one you have above) and asked me to make it for her husband for Halloween. I was so happy to find your pattern (by searching red, orange and yellow crochet hat). Thanks so much for sharing! I will post a pic when I am done.

    ReplyDelete